Birth of a law
When does a law come into effect?
A law comes into effect on the eighth day counting from the day it was published in “The Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia”.
A law can come into effect earlier if there are particularly valid reasons for this that must be determined at the time of adoption (for example, ''force majeure”, interests related to defense and security, etc.).
A law may contain a provision which allows that certain Articles, or the entire law, shall come into effect after the expiration of a certain period of time, or on a specifically set date.
Choose a quetsion from the Birth of a law
- What is a law?
- Why are laws adopted?
- Which acts regulate the birth of a law?
- Who can propose a law?
- What is a draft law?
- What does a bill look like?
- What are the mandatory elements of the rationale of a bill?
- What are the optional elements of the rationale of a bill?
- To whom is a bill submitted?
- What happens if a bill is not prepared in accordance with the Rules of Procedure?
- When is a bill included in the agenda of National Assmbly session?
- Which National Assembly committees review a bill?
- What is a public hearing?
- What is an amendment?
- Why is an amendment submitted?
- What is a discussion in principle?
- What is a discussion in detail?
- Does the proposer have the right to withdraw a bill from procedure?
- What is the Voting Day?
- How many does the National Assembly make decisions?
- What is urgent procedure?
- What are the specifics of the urgent procedure?
- How is a law promulgated?
- Can the President of the Republic refuse to promulgate a law?
- Who promulgates the law if the President of the Republic neither issues a decree on promulgation nor demands a second vote on the law?
- Is the adopted law published?
- When does a law come into effect?
- Can a law be implemented retroactively?
- Who executes the laws?
- What happens if it is suspected that a law does not comply with the Constitution?
- What happens if the Constitutional Court finds that a law does not comply with the Constitution?
- When does the effect of a law cease?
9.00 - 30th regular meeting of the National Assembly Collegium (National Assembly House, 13 Nikola Pasic Square, hall 1)
9.30 - sitting of the Committee on the Judiciary, Public Administration and Local Self-Government (National Assembly House, 13 Nikola Pasic Square, hall 3)
9.30 - sitting of the Committee on Spatial Planning, Transport, Infrastructure and Telecommunications (National Assembly House, 13 Nikola Pasic Square, hall 2)
11.00 - sitting of the Defence and Internal Affairs Committee (National Assembly House, 13 Nikola Pasic Square, hall 2)
11.00 - the Head of the PFG with Iraq meets with the Chargé d’Affaires of the Embassy of Iraq in the Republic of Serbia (National Assembly House, 13 Nikola Pasic Square, hall 4)
12.00 - sitting of the Commission for the Control of the Execution of Criminal Sanctions (National Assembly House, 13 Nikola Pasic Square, hall 3)
12.00 - National Assembly Speaker Ivica Dacic meets with the Ambassador of Belarus to Serbia Valery Brylev (National Assembly House, 13 Nikola Pasic Square, diplomatic salon of Prince Pavle Karadjordjevic)