Wednesday, 16 November 2022
Second Sitting of the Committee on Kosovo-Metohija
At the sitting held on 16 November 2022, the Committee on Kosovo-Metohija considered the information on the security situation in Kosovo-Metohija, from the aspect of endangerment of the security of the Serbian people, submitted by: the Ministry of the Interior Affairs, Ministry of Defence, Security Information Agency, Office for Kosovo-Metohija and the Office for the Coordination of Affairs in the Process of Negotiation with the Provisional Institutions of Self-Government in Pristina, and presented by acting director of the Office for Kosovo-Metohija Dr Petar Petkovic.
- The Committee has assessed that the current security situation on the territory of AP Kosovo-Metohija is extremely unstable and tense, especially in the context of the position of the Serbian and other non-Albanian peoples. This situation is the consequence of the collapse of the Dialogue, non-respect of the agreements reached, unilateral moves and daily systematic institutional, physical and psychological violence against the Serbian people in Kosovo-Metohija by the PISG in Pristina.
- The Committee strongly condemns and demands that the PISG in Pristina immediately stop terrorising the Serbian people and that, instead of threats, physical violence, the use of firearms and all kinds of pressure against the Serbian people, they sincerely dedicate themselves to resolving problems in a peaceful manner, through dialogue, reaching mutually acceptable solutions.
- The Committee fully supports the Serbian people in Kosovo-Metohija in defence of their human rights and freedoms, secure life and survival. The Committee believes that the Serbian people in Kosovo-Metohija and their elected political representatives will continue to fight for their rights, secure life, equal position and survival through peaceful, democratic means.
- The Committee rejects all attempts to present the Serbian people in Kosovo-Metohija, especially in the north, as a destabilising factor and to criminalise their elected political representatives, in order to create justification for the use of force by armed PISG units against the Serbian community.
- The Committee calls on the international community, especially those countries that have an indisputable influence on the PISG, to energetically and urgently stop Pristina from continuously perpetrating violence against the Serbian people, that the PISG implement the provisions of the agreements signed within the framework of the Dialogue without delay, set up a Community of Serb Municipalities and desist from the unilateral decision on vehicle re-registration. The international community, especially the UN and the EU, have an obligation to ensure the full implementation of the agreements reached.
- The Committee calls on the international presence in Kosovo-Metohija (UNMIK, KFOR, EULEX) to, in accordance with UN Security Council Resolution 1244, fulfil their mandates impartially and without discrimination, to ensure a peaceful environment for the Serbian people, whose very survival in Kosovo-Metohija is threatened, and to prevent the PISG from using force against the civilian Serbian population and denying them basic human rights and freedoms.
Committees related to this activity
10.00 - sitting of the Committee on Education, Science, Technological Development and the Information Society (National Assembly House, 13 Nikola Pasic Square, hall 3)
12.00 - sitting of the Committee on Finance, State Budget and Control of Public Spending (National Assembly House, 13 Nikola Pasic Square, Small Hall)