Delegation to the Inter-Parliamentary Union
The oldest international parliamentary organization (founded in 1889); represents the biggest forum where parliamentarians can discuss peace and cooperation among nations; it serves to improve the concept of representational democracy, establishment of contacts, cooperation and exchange of experiences among the Parliaments and parliamentarians; reviews issues of international importance, protection and promotion of human rights.
Plenary sessions are convened twice a year: the spring session held in one of the member states, and the fall session held in Geneva. During the sessions, meetings of working bodies are organized.
Our country has been a full member since 1891.
The composition of the delegation can be downloaded from the appropriate Internet page.
- The National Assembly's standing delegation to the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) took part in the 128th IPU Assembly, from 21 to 27 March 2013, in Quito, Ecuador. The National Assembly's delegation comprised MPs Marija Obradovic, Dr Vladimir Marinkovic and Nada Kolundzija, as well as the National Assembly Secretary General, Jana Ljubicic.
MP Marija Obradovic was elected into the Bureau of the Second Standing Committee of the Inter-Parliamentary Union on Sustainable Development, Finance and Trade, as substitute of the first deputy chair. Also, MP Vladimir Marinkovic was elected into the Committee for the drafting of a resolution on sustainable development, with the topic Fair trade and innovative financing mechanisms for sustainable development.
- The standing delegation of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia to the Inter-Parliamentary Union, headed by MA Nebojsa Stefanovic, National Assembly Speaker, and comprising: Nada Kolundzija and Marija Obradovic, as well as National Assembly Secretary General Jana Ljubicic, took part in the 127th session of the IPU Assembly, in Quebec City, Canada, from 21 to 26 October 2012.
- The standing delegation of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia to the Inter-Parliamentary Union, comprising Nada Kolundzija, Zeljko Tomic and Vesna Pesic, visited London, from 5 to 8 March 2012, at the invitation of the UK Group at the IPU.
- The standing delegation of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia to the Inter-Parliamentary Union, comprising Zeljko Tomic and Vesna Pesic, took part in the 125th session of the IPU Assembly, in Bern, from 16 to 19 October 2011.
- Standing Delegation of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia in the Inter-Parliamentary Union, headed by Prof. Dr Slavica Đukić-Dejanović, Speaker of the National Assembly of the Republic of Serbia and composed of Željko Tomić and Nemanja Šarović, participated at the 124th session of the Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union held on April 14-22, 2011 in Panama City.
For additional information about the organization see: www.ipu.org